MarriageMate Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My husband needs to butt out

Go down

My husband needs to butt out Empty My husband needs to butt out

Post  Beth Sat May 30, 2009 12:41 pm

I consider myself a good mother, not perfect, but better than average. I've taken the Love and Logic course and try to use its principles at home. My husband, on the other hand, is a terrible parent, and the kids try to avoid him as much as possible. Sometimes he yells, but the biggest problem he has is in not letting kids be kids. If our ten year old is silly, he yells at him to grow up. I tell him that our son is ten years old and that he shouldn't be expected to act like a mature eighteen year old. We try to teach him to be considerate and responsible but he's still ten. There are many other illustrations, but the bottom line is that my husband doesn't take the time to truly know our kids. He just wants to hurry along the development process and make them behave in ways that make his life convenient. I'll suggest that he get on their level with them, playing games or going to activities they would like but, he considers that a waste of his time. My kids have great reputations but to hear my husband talk about them, you'd think they were total failures. They know he is constantly displeased with them, so too often I have to go into damage control assuring them that they really are great kids.
I'd curious if I'm the only one in this delimma and how other moms protect their kids from unrealistic dads.

Beth

Back to top Go down